CORPUS CHRISTI – The Texas A&M - Corpus Christi men's tennis alumni edged out the current Islanders 4-3 in an exciting dual match while the current Islanders women's team topped the alumni 5-2 today in the Christian Care Sleep Center Islanders vs. Alumni annual match at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center.
"Just seeing the great high character of these teammates back together again, the people that built this program was the best part of today," Director of Tennis Steve Moore said. "The level of tennis was incredible high but the camaraderie of these players was even better than the tennis. I can't thank Christian Care Sleep Center enough for making this great event possible. We had over 110 people show up today to watch the Islanders alumni take on the Islanders."
The men's match came down to former Islander Jason Holland and freshman Paul Cook in No. 5 singles. With the match tied at 3-3, Holland, the first Islander athlete in school history as well as the first member of the tennis team, won 12-10 in the third set super tiebreaker over Cook to help lift the alumni to a 4-3 victory. Holland is currently ranked No. 2 in the state in the men's open rankings, which includes all ages.
In doubles, the alumni garnered two out of the three matches to earn the point. Assistant Coach and former Islander Goncalo Figueiredo teamed up with Dmitry Novikov to win 8-6 over Islanders Kevin Bettendroffer and Guillaume Rauseo. In No. 2 doubles, former Islanders Aurelien Tave and Gergo Weindinger topped Matt Westmoreland and Cook 9-8. The duo of Javier Pujol and Pietro Jordao downed former Islanders Holland and Andrew Maingot 8-4.
In singles, the Islanders and alumni battled it out until Holland clinched the match. Westmoreland, Rauseo and Jordao all sealed their singles matches. For the alumni, Novikov topped Bettendroffer 6-2, 2-6, 10-8 at the No. 1 position and Tave captured a 6-3, 4-6, 10-7 victory over Pujol in the No. 2 slot. Holland clinched the match at the No. 5 position with a 6-3, 4-6, 12-10 victory over Cook.
For the Islanders, Westmoreland earned a 7-5, 4-6, 10-8 win over Weindinger while Rauseo garnered a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Joey Farias. The other Islander, Jordao beat out Maingot in the No. 6 position 6-4, 6-1.
On the women's side, the Islanders dominated the alumni 5-2. Maider Martin and Stefania Nicolae topped former Islander assistant coach Megan Harless and Doris Kuselj 8-6 while Chelsea Horan and Sandres Burges defeated Alexandra Williams and Carlotta Santos 8-5 to garner the doubles point for the Islanders. Former Islanders Mia Matuszak and Erica Eriarte topped Cassie Shaw and Leanne Mascall 8-6.
In singles action, the women played one set to eight. Nicolae, Martin, Burges and Horan all captured their singles matches. Nicolae topped Mascall 8-4 in the top spot while Martin defeated Kuselj 8-5 in the No. 2 slot. Burges followed suit with an 8-6 victory over Santos in the No. 3 position while Horan also secured a victory in the No. 4 position with an 8-5 win over Williams. Former Islander Matuszak defeated Shaw 8-5 in the No. 5 position and Harless won her match in the No. 6 spot due to an injury.
The Islanders will continue the fall season at the ITA Texas Regional. The women's team will compete Oct. 17-21 at TCU in Fort Worth, Texas, while the men's team will compete at Baylor in Waco, Texas, on Oct. 19-22.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis) and follow them on Twitter and Instagram (@IslandersTennis).
Alumni 4, Islanders 3
1. Goncalo Figueiredo/Dmitry Novikov def. Kevin Bettendroffer/Guillaume Rauseo 8-6
2. Aurelien Tave/Gergo Weindinger def. Matt Westmoreland/Paul Cook 9-8
3. Javier Pujol/Pietro Jordao def. Jason Holland/Andrew Maingot 8-4
1. Dmitry Novikov def. Kevin Bettendroffer 6-2, 2-6, 10-8
2. Aurelien Tave def. Javi Pujol 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
3. Matt Westmoreland def. Gergo Weindinger 7-5, 4-6, 10-8
4. Guillaume Rauseo def. Joey Farias 7-5, 6-3
5. Jason Holland def. Paul Cook 6-3, 4-6, 12-10
6. Pietro Jordao def. Andrew Maingot 6-4, 6-1
Islanders 5, Alumni 2
1. Maider Martin/Stefania Nicolae def. Megan Harless/Doris Kuselj 8-6
2. Chelsie Horan/Sandra Burgues def. Alexandra Williams/Carlotta Santos 8-5
3. Mia Matuszak/Erica Eriarte def. Cassie Shaw/Leanne Mascall 8-6
1. Stefania Nicolae def. Leanne Mascall 8-4
2. Maider Martin def. Doris Kuselj 8-5
3. Sandra Burgues def. Carlotta Santos 8-6
4. Chelsie Horan def. Alexandra Williams 8-5
5. Mia Matuszak def. Cassie Shaw 8-5
6. Megan Harless won def. injury