Islanders fall to rival Lamar in Southland Conference road match
BEAUMONT, Texas - The Texas A&M - Corpus Christi women's tennis team lost a hard-fought road match by a 5-2 final against the Lamar Lady Cardinals on Sunday at the Thompson Family Tennis Center.
The Islanders are now 8-3 overall on the year and 5-2 in Southland Conference matches. The Lady Cardinals are 14-2 overall with a 6-1 record in league play.
The day started off well for the visitors with Texas A&M - Corpus Christi taking the doubles point. Bianca Discordia and Doris Kuselj won their match by an 8-4 final at No. 2 while Mia Matuszak and Stefania Nicolae won another 8-4 match at the No. 3 position. Mirna Cicak and Sandra Burges lost an 8-3 decision at No. 1 to finish play in the doubles portion.
In singles, the Islanders were only able to pick up one victory with Discordia fighting back for a 1-6, 6-2, 7-5 win at the No. 3 spot.
Nicolae was unable to take her match at No. 4 after winning the first set as she lost a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 match. Burges absorbed a 6-2, 6-2 loss at No. 5 while Matuszak fell 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. Cicak lost a 6-3, 6-0 match at the No. 1 position and Kuselj took a 6-4, 6-0 loss at No. 2 to complete the match.
Next up for the women's tennis team will be another road match when they travel to Texas - Pan American in a non-conference contest on April 5 in Edinburg. The Tuesday match is scheduled for a 3 p.m. start.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs Lamar
04/03/11 at Beaumont, Texas
Lamar 5, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 2
1. Mariaryeni Gutierrez (LUW) def. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Kaltrina Harbuzi (LUW) def. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) 6-4, 6-0
3. Bianca Discordia (AMCC) def. Alicia Porte (LUW) 1-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Natalia Mayagoitia (LUW) def. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Diana Mendez (LUW) def. Sandra Burges (AMCC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Alessandra Pennesi (LUW) def. Mia Matuszak (AMCC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Mariaryeni Gutierrez/Kaltrina Harbuzi (LUW) def. Mirna Cicak/Sandra Burges (AMCC) 8-3
2. Bianca Discordia/Doris Kuselj (AMCC) def. Natalia Mayagoitia/Alicia Porte (LUW) 8-4
3. Mia Matuszak/Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Helene Czudek/Diana Mendez (LUW) 8-4
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 8-3, 5-2 SLC
Lamar 14-2, 6-1 SLC