Women's tennis captures first Southland win of the season
DALLAS, Texas - The Texas A&M - Corpus Christi women's tennis team picked up its first Southland Conference win of the season in convincing fashion, taking a 7-0 dual match over the Central Arkansas Bears on Friday night.
"There is always a little extra focus in the conference matches, and there should be," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "I thought the girls played with a lot of energy today, fought extremely hard, adjusted well to the indoor courts and did a great job of encouraging each other."
The Islanders evened their record to 1-1 on the year and move to 1-0 in Southland play. The Bears played their first match and are now 0-1 on the year as well as in league play.
In doubles, Doris Kuselj and Bianca Discordia picked up a quick 8-2 victory over Sasha Ruocco and Kazumi Otani at the No. 2 position to kickoff the match. At No. 3 doubles, LeAnne Mascall and Nadia Filmalter followed close behind with an 8-3 win over Kati Andersen and Alex Rios. The final doubles match was a much closer tilt, with Mirna Cicak and Stefania Nicolae defeating Lisa Mainz and Allison Hartman 8-6 at No. 1 to secure the doubles sweep.
In singles, Cicak and Nicolae picked up identical 6-2, 6-0 wins, with Cicak taking the No. 1 win over Simona Horsikyan and Nicolae winning at No. 4 against Otani. Discordia had a 6-4, 6-0 win over Ruocco at the No. 3 spot to clinch the match for the Islanders. Kuselj won her No. 2 singles match by a 6-0, 6-3 score over Mainz while Burges took a No. 5 singles win over Anderson by a 6-2, 6-3 final. The last match of the night came at No. 6 singles with Mia Matuszak taking a 6-3, 6-2 win over Rios to complete the clean sweep of a talented but inexperienced Bears team.
"The veteran girls did a good job of leading and the new girls played with a lot of poise in their first conference match ever," said Moore. "We have a lot of hard work to do, but this is a high-character group and I believe they'll do the work.
"Overall today we did a very good job of the things we could control."
Central Arkansas vs Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
1/28/2011 at Dallas, Texas
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 7, Central Arkansas 0
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Simona Horsikyan (UCA) 6-2, 6-0
2. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) def. Lisa Mainz (UCA) 6-0, 6-3
3. Bianca Discordia (AMCC) def. Sasha Ruocco (UCA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Kazumi Otani (UCA) 6-2, 6-0
5. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Kati Andersen (UCA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Mia Matuszak (AMCC) def. Alex Rios (UCA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Mirna Cicak/Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Lisa Mainz/Allison Hartman (UCA) 8-6
2. Doris Kuselj/Bianca Discordia (AMCC) def. Sasha Ruocco/Kazumi Otani (UCA) 8-2
3. LeAnne Mascall/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) def. Kati Andersen/Alex Rios (UCA) 8-3
Central Arkansas 0-1, 0-1 Southland
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1-1, 1-0 Southland