Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (0-1) fell in their season opener at Rice University (1-0) on Wednesday. The Owls took the match by winning five of six singles and all the doubles for a 6-1 final.
Rice quickly grabbed the lead in the match by winning all three doubles contest to nab a early 1-0 lead. TAMUCC number one doubles team of Mirna Cicak/Megan Harless fell 8-3 against Juile Chao/Ana Guzman. LeAnne Mascall/Bianca Discordia fell to the Owls number two team lost 8-2 against Jessica Jackson/Ana Guzman.
In number three doubles Doris Kuselj/Nadia Filmalter were outdone by Rebecca Lin/Rebekka Hänle of Rice 8-1.
"I thought we competed very well, we're a very good young team with a lot of potential. We played a very, very good Rice team today, the best team they have had there in a long time. That's the great thing about being young, you are improving so much every week," said director of tennis Steve Moore.
Singles featured one victory by the Islanders which came in number two singles when Kuselj after losing the first set 6-2, to Chao won the next two sets 7-6 (6-4) and 10-5 for the only win on the score board for AM-Corpus Christi.
"I thought Doris was exceptional today, the girl she beat played #1 for Rice all last year and was in the national singles rankings the whole year. That's pretty impressive work for a freshman playing in her first dual match," said Moore.
Number one action featured Hänle defeating Cicak 6-2, 6-3. Discodia lost in number three singles 6-1, 6-3 against Jackson. Ana Guzman was victorious against Adrienne Kovacs 6-2, 6-1 in number four singles.
The last two matches also were wins for the Owls, winning number five singles as Filmalter lost 6-3, 6-1 to Lin and Harless was defeated 6-1, 6-0 to Alex Rasch.
"First dual match ever for three freshmen, I thought they competed very, very well against a very good team for their first match of the year," added Moore "I'm very optimistic about this group because of their work ethic and their attitudes,"
The women's next match is against Prairie View A&M in Houston.
Womens Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs Rice
1/20/2010 at Houston, Texas
Rice 6, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
1. Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) def. Julie Chao (RICE) 2-6, 7-6 (6-4), 10-5
3. Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Bianca Discordia (AMCC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Adrienne Kovacs (AMCC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Rebecca Lin (RICE) def. Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alex Rasch (RICE) def. Megan Harless (AMCC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Julie Chao/Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Mirna Cicak/Megan Harless (AMCC) 8-3
2. Jessica Jackson/Varsha Shiva-Shankar (RICE) def. LeAnne Mascall/Bianca Discordia (AMCC) 8-2
3. Rebecca Lin/Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Doris Kuselj/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 8-1
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 0-1