ISLANDERS WOMEN END GRUELING DAY WITH WIN OVER LIONS
Beaumont The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team endured a trying day, playing the defending Southland Conference champion Lamar Cardinals to a 4-3 loss. The Islanders came back just two hours later and took a 4-2 decision over the Southeastern Louisiana Lions in a 4.5 hour match to end the day.
"Today was such a show of courage from our women's team," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "Our whole university can be proud of what they did out there today."
At the end of the day, the Islanders stand at 8-11 overall and 4-6 in SLC play.
The Islanders did their damage in the No. 3-6 singles, taking all four matches to take the match win. No. 3 singles saw Erika Iriarte down Morgane Dadot 7-6, 5-7, 7-6. No. 3 singles had Alexandra Dyckman winning in three sets as well, losing the first before coming back to win 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. No. 5 singles was contested between Pernelle Soulie and Annika Hanke, with Soulie winning 6-1, 6-4. Fabiana Mersan won the No. 6 singles point by default. In No. 1 singles, Mirna Cicak fell by a 7-6, 6-4 decision to Iva Velkovska. No. 2 singles had Nina Ciric losing 6-1, 6-2 to Audrey Chelini.
"An average competitor would have probably been too deflated after the first match," said Moore. "Not these girls, they had incredible heart in winning the match."
The two teams did not play the doubles point because of the clinching of the match in singles.
"I guess what impressed me the most about the girls today is to play the defending SLC champion Lamar so close, coming down to the wire in the final possible match while barely coming up short," said Moore. "Then coming back just two hours later and winning a 4.5 hour match just speaks volumes about the heart of this team."
In the first match of the day, the Islanders resumed their match against Lamar which had been postponed from Saturday afternoon due to the weather. The match would go all the way to the doubles point before TAMUCC fell by a 4-3 score.
In singles matches, Mirna Cicak won at No. 1 singles in three sets, fighting back from a set down to win 1-6, 6-1, 6-2. In No. 3 singles, Erika Iriarte also took a three-set victory with a 6-1, 5-7, 6-1 score. Pernelle Soulie won No. 5 singles in two sets by a 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 final. In No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 singles, the Islanders were unable to come out victorious to send the match to the deciding doubles point.
The Islanders Nina Ciric and Fabiana Mersan came out on top in No. 3 doubles by an 8-6 final. After falling in No. 2 doubles by an 8-4 score, the match went to the deciding No. 1 doubles, with Cicak and Megan Harless losing to Mariaryeni Gutierrez and Maria Gutierrez by an 8-5 decision.
The Islanders complete their conference slate on Monday against Nicholls State in Beaumont before heading to Shreveport to take on Centenary on Tuesday morning.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs Lamar
Apr 19, 2009 at
Lamar 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Mariaryeni Gutierrez (LU-W) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Maria Gutierrez (LU-W) def. Nina Ciric (AMCC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Carla Nava (LU-W) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
4. Manijee Ashrafi (LU-W) def. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Pernelle Soulie (AMCC) def. Manami Kuroda (LU-W) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
6. Salina Aranda (LU-W) def. Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Mariaryeni Gutierrez/Maria Gutierrez (LU-W) def. Megan Harless/Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 8-5
2. Manijee Ashrafi/Salina Aranda (LU-W) def. Alexandra Dyckman/Erika Iriarte (AMCC) 8-4
3. Nina Ciric/Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) def. Manami Kuroda/Carla Nava (LU-W) 8-6
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, Southeastern Louisiana 2
1. Iva Velkovska (SLU-W) def. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 7-6, 6-4
2. Audrey Chelini (SLU-W) def. Nina Ciric (AMCC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Morgane Dadot (SLU-W) 7-6, 5-7, 7-6
4. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) def. Ashley Longoria (SLU-W) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Pernelle Soulie (AMCC) def. Annika Hanke (SLU-W) 6-1, 6-4
6. Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) def. No player (SLU-W), by default
1. Mirna Cicak/Megan Harless (AMCC) vs. Audrey Chelini/Iva Velkovska (SLU-W) unfinished
2. Alexandra Dyckman/Erika Iriarte (AMCC) vs. Morgane Dadot/Ashley Longoria (SLU-W) unfinished
3. Nina Ciric/Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) vs. No player/No player (SLU-W) unfinished
Southeastern Louisiana 9-11, 3-6 SLC
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 8-11, 4-6 SLC
Did not play doubles