ISLANDER WOMEN LOSE CLOSE MATCH AGAINST TEXAS STATE
San Antonio The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team fell by a 5-2 score to Texas State in a Southland Conference match. The match was played on the campus of UTSA after the original match was cancelled this past Saturday due to weather.
The Islanders fall to 7-10 overall and 3-5 in SLC matches. The Bobcats improved to 9-6 on the season with a 7-4 record in SLC play.
"This was a very close match today, it could have gone either way" said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "Give credit to Texas State, they are very well coached and competed very well."
Nina Ciric and Megan Harless led the way for the Islanders, with Ciric winning No. 3 singles over Nyssa Peel by a 6-0, 6-4 final. Harless also won her match at No. 4 singles, taking a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Lainy Chafitz in Harless' first singles match of the year.
The Islanders also played a close doubles round, narrowly falling to the Bobcats by a 2-1 score. In No. 1 singles, the Islanders duo of Mirna Cicak and Ciric lost 8-2 to Andrea Giraldo and Chafitz. The Islanders won the No. 3 doubles match, taking an 8-6 win over Mackenzie Farmer and Kiki Kruse. The deciding match was No. 2 doubles, as Erika Iriarte and Alexandra Dyckman fell by an 8-6 final to Ashley Ellis and Peele.
"The doubles point was the key," said Moore. "We were close but were not able to win the deciding match."
The Islanders were unable to gain any more ground in the singles competition, falling at No. 1, No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles to finish the match with a 5-2 decision for Texas State.
The Islanders will move on to finish their season in the next week. This weekend, TAMUCC plays Lamar on Saturday, April 18, Southeastern Louisiana on Sunday, April 19 and Nicholls State on Monday, April 20 with all matches being played in Beaumont. The Islanders will close out the season on Tuesday, April 21 in Shreveport, La. with a doubleheader match against Centenary.
Texas State 5, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 2
1. Andrea Giraldo (TXST-W) def. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ashley Ellis (TXST-W) def. Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Nina Ciric (AMCC) def. Nyssa Peele (TXST-W) 6-0, 6-4
4. Megan Harless (AMCC) def. Lainy Chafitz (TXST-W) 6-4, 6-3
5. Kiki Kruse (TXST-W) def. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Mackenzie Farmer (TXST-W) def. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
1. Andrea Giraldo/Lainy Chafitz (TXST-W) def. Mirna Cicak/Nina Ciric (AMCC) 8-2
2. Ashley Ellis/Nyssa Peele (TXST-W) def. Erika Iriarte/Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) 8-6
3. Pernelle Soulie/Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) def. Mackenzie Farmer/Kiki Kruse (TXST-W) 8-6
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 7-10, 3-5 in SLC
Texas State 10-6, 7-4 in SLC