Arlington The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team fell to first-place UT Arlington in a Southland Conference match on Wednesday afternoon by a 6-1 final.
The Islanders drop to 7-9 overall and 3-4 in SLC matches. The Lady Mavs improve to 13-6 on the season with an undefeated SLC record of 10-0.
"It was a tough match for us today," said Associate Head Coach Gonçalo Figueiredo. "We knew coming in we were going to be playing against the best team in the conference."
In the doubles portion of the match, the Lady Mavs won all three matches, with Mirna Cicak and Nadia Filmalter falling at No. 1 doubles to Klara Jagosova and Daiana Negreanu by an 8-2 final. No. 2 doubles had Nina Ciric and Megan Harless dropping and 8-4 decision to Maria Martinez-Romer and Nikola Matovicova. The No. 3 doubles match pitted Erika Iriarte and Alexandra Dyckman against Monika Hadvigerova and Katarina Micochova, with the Iriarte and Dyckman losing an 8-6 match.
"The UTA team was better than ours today," said Figueiredo, "On our home court we may play them tough but on their court, they were too much."
In singles, Cicak was the only Islander to record a point, as she won the first set 6-2 over Hadvigerova before the UTA player retired with an injury. In No. 2 singles, Iriarte lost in three sets to Negreanu by a 7-6, 1-6, 10-3 final. No. 3 singles pitted Ciric and Jagosova, with Ciric losing a 6-0, 6-2 final. In No. 4 singles, Dyckman was downed by Micochova by a 6-3, 6-0 score. No. 5 singles saw Martinez-Romer beat the Islanders Pernelle Soulie by a 6-0, 6-0 margin. In No. 6 singles, Fabiana Mersan was beaten 6-2, 7-6 by Matovicova in the final match.
"They are very good at several positions," said Figueiredo. "They are very experienced throughout their lineup and they were able to use the experience to control the match."
The Islanders now must put this behind them and move on to face Texas State in a road SLC match on Saturday in San Marcos. Match time is set for 3:00 PM.
Texas at Arlington 6, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Monika Hadvigerova (UTA) 6-2
2. Daiana Negreanu (UTA) def. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) 7-6, 1-6, 10-3
3. Klara Jagosova (UTA) def. Nina Ciric (AMCC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Katarina Micochova (UTA) def. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Maria Martinez-Romer (UTA) def. Pernelle Soulie (AMCC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nikola Matovicova (UTA) def. Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) 6-2, 7-6
1. Klara Jagosova/Daiana Negreanu (UTA) def. Mirna Cicak/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 8-2
2. Maria Martinez-Romer/Nikola Matovicova (UTA) def. Megan Harless/Nina Ciric (AMCC) 8-4
3. Monika Hadvigerova/Katarina Micochova (UTA) def. Erika Iriarte/Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) 8-6