ISLANDERS TOP MCNEESE IN SLC ROAD MATCH
Lake Charles, La. - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team picked up their second win of the weekend on Saturday as they defeated Southland Conference opponent McNeese State by a 6-1 score on the road.
The Islanders are now 6-7 overall on the season and move to 2-2 in SLC action. McNeese falls to 4-9 on the year and are now 0-5 in SLC matches.
"This is a great victory to build momentum," said Associate Head Coach Gonçalo Figueiredo. "It helps us build confidence and shows their hard work during spring break paid off."
In doubles action, Mirna Cicak and Nadia Filmalter faced off against Ralitsa Pirdopska and Victoria Martinez in No. 1 doubles while taking an 8-3 victory over the McNeese team. No. 2 doubles saw Alexandra Dyckman and Erika Iriarte defeat Petra Gudelj and Maria Frausto with an 8-7 (7-3) decision. The Islanders took the No. 3 doubles match as well, as Nina Ciric and Fabiana Mersan downed Tea Tvrtkovic and Inga Efimenko by an 8-2 final. The wins gave the Islanders the doubles point for an early 1-0 match lead.
In singles action, Cicak played the No. 1 match against Pirdopska, winning in 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 fashion. No. 2 singles would be the only match lost on the day for the Islanders, as Ciric lost a hard-fought match against Martinez, falling 5-7, 6-4, 10-5. No. 3 singles pitted Iriarte against Gudelj, with Iriarte posting a 6-1, 6-2 victory. No. 4 singles had Dyckman and Tvrtkovic squaring off, with Dyckman winning in straight sets at 6-3, 6-4. No. 5 singles saw Pernelle Soulie defeat Frausto in three sets by a 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 score. In the final singles match, Mersan defeated Efimenko in No. 6 singles by a 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 final.
"They played very united today with everybody helping and encouraging each other," said Figueiredo. "They stepped up and fought hard in cold, windy conditions."
With the win, the Islanders finish their weekend on the road and return to Corpus Christi, where they will next be in action against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday, April 4 at 1:00 PM.
"We have to use this match as an example, especially for conference," said Figueiredo. "They stepped up, we were very proud of the fight in the players."
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6, McNeese State 1
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Ralitsa Pirdopska (MCN) 6-3, 5-7, 6-0
2. Victoria Martinez (MCN) def. Nina Ciric (AMCC) 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
3. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Petra Gudelj (MCN) 6-1, 6-2
4. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) def. Tea Tvrtkovic (MCN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Pernelle Soulie (AMCC) def. Maria Frausto (MCN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) def. Inga Efimenko (MCN) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
1. Mirna Cicak/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) def. Ralitsa Pirdopska/Victoria Martinez (MCN) 8-3
2. Alexandra Dyckman/Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Petra Gudelj/Maria Frausto (MCN) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Nina Ciric/Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) def. Tea Tvrtkovic/Inga Efimenko (MCN) 8-2
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6-7, 2-2 SLC
McNeese State 4-9, 0-5 SLC