ISLANDERS FALL TO ROADRUNNERS IN SLC MATCH
San Antonio - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team lost a 6-1 final to UTSA in a Southland Conference road match on Saturday.
The Islanders fall to 4-7 on the season and 1-2 in SLC play. The Roadrunners improved to 10-4 on the year and 5-0 in SLC action.
"You have to give credit to UTSA, they are greatly improved from last year." said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "They were very well coached and won all the tight matches today."
No.1 doubles pitted Mirna Cicak and Nadia Filmalter took on Karen Scida and Micaela Silva, losing 9-7. In No.2 doubles, Erika Iriarte and Alexandra Dyckman lost by an 8-6 score to Caroline Dedering and Monika Drabkova. The No.3 doubles has Fabiana Mersan and Nina Ciric dropping an 8-6 decision to Holly Phillips and Nathalie Wallin as UTSA won all three matches to take the doubles point for a 1-0 lead.
In the singles matches, the Islanders played very close matches but were unable to get enough victories to pull the win out. In No.1 singles, Cicak lost to Scida 7-6, 6-3. The No.2 singles saw Ciric take on Wallin, losing 6-3, 6-3 to Wallin. No.3 singles was a very tight match, with Iriarte losing the first set to Drabkova 7-6 before having to retire due to cramps. Filmalter lost the No.4 singles match by a 6-2, 6-1 score against Phillips. Dyckman scored the only point of the day for the Islanders with a 6-3, 6-0 win in No.5 singles against Silva. Pernelle Soulie closed out the match with a 6-3, 6-4 loss to Dedering in No.6 singles.
"This match was a lot closer than the score, I felt we could have won all three doubles matches," said Moore. "I felt we were in charge at No.1 and No.3 singles before Erika Iriarte had to retire due to cramps in the second set of the No.3 singles."
The Islanders next travel to Lake Charles, La. to take on McNeese State in a SLC matchup. They play the Cowgirls on March 28.
"The good news for us is we're young and getting better each week," said Moore "I'm excited about where this team will be in April."
UTSA 6, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
1. Karen Scida (UTSA) def. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 7-6, 6-3
2. Nathalie Wallin (UTSA) def. Nina Ciric (AMCC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Monika Drabkova (UTSA) def. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) 7-6, retired
4. Holly Phillips (UTSA) def. Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-3, 5-0
6. Caroline Dedering (UTSA) def. Pernelle Soulie (AMCC) 6-3, 6-4
1. Karen Scida/Micaela Silva (UTSA) def. Mirna Cicak/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 9-7
2. Caroline Dedering/Monika Drabkova (UTSA) def. Erika Iriarte/Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) 8-6
3. Holly Phillips/Nathalie Wallin (UTSA) def. Fabiana Mersan/Nina Ciric (AMCC) 8-6