ISLANDER WOMEN TAKE TOUGH ROAD MATCH AGAINST UTPA
Edinburg - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team got a big win on the road against Texas-Pan American by a 6-1 final on Tuesday afternoon. The Islanders move to 3-3 on the year while the Broncs fall to 1-4 on the season.
"This was a very tough and focused effort to win 6-1 on the road." said Islander Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "I thought these girls fought very hard and showed very good concentration."
Concentration was a key as it was a very windy day at the Orville Cox Tennis Center. The Islanders were able to adjust to the conditions to take a well earned victory.
"It was very windy but they did not make any excuses." said Moore. "They were focused and mentally tough in conditions that were not optimal."
TAMUCC was nearly perfect on the afternoon, dropping only the No. 2 singles match to dominate the Broncs. Mirna Cicak beat Stephanie Willerding at No. 1 singles by a 6-1, 6-4 final. In No. 2 singles, Luisa Cantu of UTPA beat Nadia Filmalter with a 6-2, 6-0 score. Nina Ciric played Megan Bedeau to a 6-4, 6-2 win in No. 3 singles. No. 4 singles saw Erika Iriarte beat Andrea Salvetova in identical sets at 6-1, 6-1. No. 5 singles had Alexandra Dyckman winning over Malin Andersen in three sets at 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. The No. 6 singles saw Fabiana Mersan take on Sarah Burton, beating her by a 6-3, 6-3 score.
In doubles action, the Islanders made a clean sweep on the three matches. In No. 1 doubles, Cicak and Filmalter beat Willerding and Salvetova by an 8-6 final. No. 2 singles had Ciric and Megan Harless winning over Bedeau and Cantu by an 8-4 score. No. 3 doubles had Iriarte and Dyckman beating Andersen and Burton by a 9-7 score.
"Mirna and Nadia played very well out there in doubles." said Moore. "They had an excellent day in the No. 1 doubles match."
The Islanders are out of action until they play host to the First Annual Islander Team Invite on Feb. 27-28. TAMUCC will host Tulane, UTEP and Texas-Pan American.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6, Texas-Pan American 1
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Stephanie Willerding (UTPAW) 6-1, 6-4
2. Luisa Cantu (UTPAW) def. Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Nina Ciric (AMCC) def. Megan Bedeau (UTPAW) 6-4, 6-2
4. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Andrea Salvetova (UTPAW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) def. Malin Andersen (UTPAW) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) def. Sarah Burton (UTPAW) 6-3, 6-3
1. Cicak/Filmalter (AMCC) def. Willerding/Salvetova (UTPAW) 8-6
2. Ciric/Megan Harless (AMCC) def. Bedeau/Cantu (UTPAW) 8-4
3. Iriarte/Dyckman (AMCC) def. Andersen/Burton (UTPAW) 9-7