Monroe, La. - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team fell by a 4-3 final to the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks on Wednesday afternoon at Raymond Heard Stadium on the campus of ULM. It was the fourth-straight day the Islanders saw action.
The Islanders fall to 2-3 on the season while the Warhawks improve to 3-1 on the year.
The day opened with the doubles matches as the Islanders were unable to grab any of the three pairings. In no. 1 doubles, Mirna Cicak and Nadia Filmalter dropped an 8-3 decision against Ana Burjaili and Lena Satge. No. 2 doubles had Nina Ciric and Megan Harless dropping a hard-fought 8-6 final against Sharon Makhanya and Monica Winkel. The final doubles set saw Alexandra Dyckman and Erika Iriarte lose the closest match yet, a 9-8 (7-4) thriller, to Claire Clark and Marion Lehmann.
In singles action, Cicak quickly tied the score by taking a 6-0, 6-1 decision in no. 1 singles over Burjaili. Satge once again gave ULM the lead when she beat Filmalter at no. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-3.
The Islanders would not be able to recover, as Lehmann beat Mersan in no. 6 singles by a 6-2, 6-4 score and Clark beat Iriarte in no. 4 singles by a 6-2, 6-4 final to clinch the match for the Warhawks.
Ciric was able to take her match with Winkel by a 6-0, 3-6, 6-1 mark and Dyckman beat Makhanya by a 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) tally to make the final score closer.
The Islanders now return home to take a long break before hosting the first annual Islander Team Invite on Feb. 27-28. The Islanders will host Tulane, UTEP and Texas-Pan American during the two-day event.
1. Burjaili/Satge (ULM) def. Cicak/Filmalter (TAMUCC) 8-3
2. Makhanya/Winkel (ULM) def. Ciric/Harless (TAMUCC) 8-6
3. Clark/Lehmann (ULM) def. Dyckman/Iriarte (TAMUCC) 9-8 (7-4)
1. Mirna Cicak (TAMUCC) def. Ana Burjaili (ULM) 6-0, 6-1
2. Lena Satge (ULM) def. Nadia Filmalter (TAMUCC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Nina Ciric (TAMUCC) def. Monica Winkel (ULM) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
4. Claire Clark (ULM) def. Erika Iriate (TAMUCC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Alexandra Dyckman (TAMUCC) def. Sharon Makhanya (ULM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Marion Lehmann (ULM) def. Fabiana Mersan (TAMUCC) 6-2, 6-4