ISLANDERS TOP CENTRAL ARKANSAS IN TENNIS TILT
Dallas - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team got the first win of their season against Central Arkansas on Sunday afternoon.
The win evens the Islanders record at 1-1 on the season and gives them a 1-0 mark in Southland Conference play. The Sugar Bears fall to 0-2 on the season and 0-1 in SLC action.
The Islanders were pushed to the limit in three of the singles matches on the afternoon, but prevailed in two of the three to help take the singles matches by a margin of 4-2.
"I thought we competed very well out there today." said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "Central Arkansas is much improved from last year and played us very tough today."
In singles play, Freshman Mirna Cicak once again impress, beating Petra Keilova in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2 in #1 singles. In #2 singles, Nadia Filmalter defeated Rebecca Miller in three sets, taking it to the limit before finally winning 6-7, 6-4, 12-10.
"Mirna stood out once again today." said Moore. "She played very mature for a freshman."
UCA got their first win of the afternoon when Lisa Mainz slid by Nina Ciric, winning 2-6, 6-2, 7-5. The Islanders were able to win the next two matches to clinch the victory as Erika Iriarte finished her match with Alex Rios quickly with a 6-0, 6-1 decision. That was followed by Alexandra Dyckman's victory over Allison Hartman by a 1-6, 7-6, 7-5 score.
In the final match of the day, Lindsey Short of the Sugar Bears defeated Fabiana Mersan by a 6-3, 6-2 margin.
Earlier in the day, TAMUCC swept through the doubles competition to start the day with Cicak/Filmalter beating Miller/Mainz in the first match, 8-1. In the #2 singles, Ciric/Harless defeated Keilova/McCullough by an 8-3 decision. In the final doubles match, Dyckman/Iriarte closed out Hartman and Jordan Short 8-2.
"Erika Iriarte and Alex Dyckman were great today." said Moore. "They are two very savvy seniors who showed leadership out there."
The Islanders now move on to play SMU on Monday afternoon. The Mustangs were formerly coached by Moore from 2001-03. Moore led them to two of the winningest seasons in their history.
Moore led them to 18 wins during his second season at the school, the second-most wins in their school's history.
"They are a very good program." said Moore. "This gives us another opportunity to get better against a good team."
The match is scheduled for a 2 PM start in Dallas.
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Keilova, Petra (UCA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) def. Miller, Rebecca (UCA) 6-7, 6-4, 12-10
3. Mainz, Lisa (UCA) def. Nina Ciric (AMCC) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Rios, Alex (UCA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Alexandra Dyckman (AMCC) def. Allison Hartman (UCA) 1-6, 7-6, 7-5
6. Short, Lindsey (UCA) def. Fabiana Mersan (AMCC) 6-3, 6-4
1. Mirna Cicak/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) def. Miller, Rebecca/Mainz, Lisa (UCA) 8-1
2. Nina Ciric/Megan Harless (AMCC) def. Keilova, Petra/McCullough, Rebecca (UCA) 8-3
3. Alexandra Dyckman/Erika Iriarte (AMCC) def. Allison Hartman/Short, Jordan (UCA) 8-2