BEAUMONT, Texas – The Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Men's Tennis team earned a convincing 4-0 win on Saturday, earning a spot in the finals of the Southland Conference Tournament with the victory over Lamar.
The Islanders (16-7) picked up the win in the opening round over a short-handed Lamar (4-17) in the semifinals of the tournament. The Cardinals had five players, so Texas A&M – Corpus Christi started the match with a 1-0 lead after the Cardinals were forced to default at No. 6 singles.
Andrew Maingot and Guillaume Rauseo set the tone for the Islanders, winning 8-3 at No. 2 singles to give their team the doubles point. No. 3 doubles was also defaulted to the Islanders to finish doubles scoring at 2-0 and making it a 2-0 dual match score heading to the singles portion of the contest.
In singles action, Pietro Jordao was the first to finish, dominating 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 to make it 3-0. Matt Westmoreland finished it off soon after, earning a 6-0, 6-0 final at No. 2 singles to make it a 4-0 sweep of the Cardinals.
Javier Pujol had won his first set and was up in the second when his match went unfinished. Peter Nagy lost the first set, but rallied in a big way and was just moments away from tying his match at a set apiece when it went unfinished. Ricardo Mayagoitia moved up to No. 3 for the match and was down a set when play way stopped at the completion of the match.
The Islanders will play New Orleans on Sunday morning at 11 a.m. in the finals of the Southland Conference Tournament with a berth to the NCAA Tournament on the line.
The women's team is set for a 2 p.m. match against Sam Houston in the semifinals of the women's tournament. If they reach the finals, they would face the winner of Southeastern Louisiana and Northwestern State on Sunday at 2 p.m.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis), follow them on Twitter (@IslandersTennis) and visit www.GoIslanders.com.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi vs Lamar
04/27/13 at Beaumont, Texas
#61 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, Lamar 0
1. Rob Lee (LU) vs. Peter Nagy (AMCC) 6-2, 0-5, unfinished
2. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Carl Lindqvist (LU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Steven McMullan (LU) vs. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
4. Mikko Rajamaki (LU) vs. Javier Pujol (AMCC) 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. Pietro Jordao (AMCC) def. Trey Crysel (LU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrew Maingot (AMCC) def. No Player (LU), by default
1. Steven McMullan/Rob Lee (LU) vs. Peter Nagy/Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 4-5, unfinished
2. Andrew Maingot/Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) def. Carl Lindqvist/Mikko Rajamaki (LU) 8-3
3. Odon Barta/Pietro Jordao (AMCC) def. No Player/No Player 2 (LU), by default
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 16-7; National ranking #61
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,5,2)