Islanders Knock Off No. 30 BYU in 47th Annual HEB Tournament of Champions
CORPUS CHRISTI – The Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Men's Tennis team picked up one of the biggest wins in Islanders history on Friday morning, taking a 4-1 final over No. 30 BYU in the opening round of the 47th Annual HEB Tournament of Champions.
The Islanders (2-5) continued the tradition of playing well in the event with the win over the Cougars (10-3). Coming into the match, BYU had lost only to No. 3 UCLA and No. 18 Stanford this season before falling to the home team.
Doubles ended in heartbreaking fashion for the Islanders, but they did not let it deter them from the ultimate goal. Peter Nagy and Odon Barta fell 8-4 in the No. 1 match, but Gergo Weidinger and Guillaume Rauseo picked up an 8-4 win of their own to even it at 1-1. No. 2 doubles came down to tiebreak, and after being level at 2-2, BYU earned five points in a row to win 9-8 (7-2) and pickup the doubles point.
It would be the only point the Cougars would score, with the Islanders sweeping four straight singles matches to take home the win.
Sophomore Nagy started it off with a masterful performance at No. 1 singles, taking a 6-1, 6-2 final over Patrick Kawka, the No. 47-ranked singles player in the nation, to even it at 1-1.
Freshman Javier Pujol followed with an identical 6-1, 6-2 final at No. 5 to give his team the early advantage. Another freshman put the Islanders on the brink, with Ricardo Mayagoitia winning 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6 to make it 3-1.
Seasoned veteran Matt Westmoreland closed it out for the Islanders, taking a tough 7-5, 6-2 final to clinch the match for host Texas A&M – Corpus Christi.
The Islanders will be back in action this afternoon at 4 p.m. at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center against Louisiana – Lafayette in the semifinals of the prestigious tournament.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis), follow them on Twitter (@IslandersTennis) and visit www.GoIslanders.com.
Tennis Match Results
BYU vs Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
03/01/13 at Corpus Christi,Texas
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, #30 BYU 1
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. #47 Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 5-7, 3-4, unfinished
4. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) vs. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 5-7, 5-5, unfinished
5. Javier Pujol (AMCC) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. John Pearce (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Patrick Kawka/Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Peter Nagy/Odon Barta (AMCC) 8-4
2. Spencer Smith/Travis Fillmore (BYU) def. Matt Westmoreland/Andrew Maingot (AMCC) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Gergo Weidinger/Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) def. Keaton Cullimore/John Pearce (BYU) 8-4
BYU 10-3; National ranking #30
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 2-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,6,2)