Men’s Tennis Falls to Nationally Ranked South Alabama to Complete Weekend
CORPUS CHRISTI – The Texas A&M – Corpus Christi men's tennis team lost a hard fought match against nationally ranked South Alabama on Sunday evening. The Islanders suffered a 5-0 loss in a non-tournament match against one of the other participants in the 46th Annual HEB Tournament of Champions.
The Islanders are no 7-8 on the year, while the Jaguars improved to 8-3 this season. Coming off of a third-place finish in the HEB Tournament of Champions, Texas A&M – Corpus Christi fell in a closely contested match against one of the best teams in the nation.
In doubles, USA played tough from the start, taking an 8-2 final over Andrew Maingot and Nathan Robinson at the No. 3 position. Alex Pavlov and Pietro Jordan played a close match at No. 2 doubles, falling 8-4 to USA to clinch the point for the Jaguars. Aurelien Tave and Peter Nagy were not as fortunate at No. 1, falling by an 8-2 score to complete doubles play.
In singles, with several of the matches being closely contested. Nagy led early on at No. 1 singles, while Fernando Llorens trailed early, but rallied for the first set victory.
The first match to finish was No. 3 singles, where Gergo Weidinger suffered a 6-2, 6-2 loss to make it a 2-0 lead for USA. Jordao's match was next to be completed, as the freshman had to retire from the match.
The clinching point came at No. 1 singles, with Nagy taking a 6-4, 6-0 defeat. The final match to finish was No. 4 singles, as Robinson battled throughout before falling 7-5, 6-3 to complete the scoring at 5-0.
Tave and Llorens had their matches go unfinished when the coaches agreed to stop play.
Next up for the Islanders will be a Southland Conference match at a neutral site in Beaumont on March 11 against Nicholls. The Colonels are currently in the ITA National Rankings and will be another tough test for the Texas A&M – Corpus Christi team.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (Islanders Tennis), follow them on Twitter (@IslandersTennis) and visit www.GoIslanders.com.
South Alabama vs Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
03/04/2012 at Corpus Christi, Texas
#61 South Alabama 5, Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 0
1. Bocaert, Romain (USA) def. Peter Nagy (AMCC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Aurelien Tave (AMCC) vs. Bernard, Alex (USA) 5-7, 0-3, unfinished
3. Leitner, Daniel (USA) def. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Hall, Cody (USA) def. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 7-5, 6-3
5. Fernando Llorens (AMCC) vs. Gregor, Blake (USA) 6-4, 2-6, 2-1, unfinished
6. Kruger, Dauw (USA) def. Pietro Jordao (AMCC) 6-1, 4-2, retired
1. Bocaert, Romain/Bernard, Alex (USA) def. Aurelien Tave/Peter Nagy (AMCC) 8-2
2. Bartsch, Hanno/Kuehne, Christian (USA) def. Alex Pavlov/Pietro Jordao (AMCC) 8-4
3. Leitner, Daniel/Hall, Cody (USA) def. Andrew Maingot/Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 8-2
South Alabama 8-3; National ranking #61
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 7-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,1,4)