No. 70 Islanders fall 4-1 against No. 5 Baylor in NCAA Championships
WACO, Texas - The No. 70 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi men's tennis team lost a hard-fought 4-1 final against No. 5 Baylor on Friday in the first round of the NCAA Championships. The loss ends the season for the Southland Conference Champions.
They finish the year at 15-10 overall after winning both the Southland Conference regular season and tournament championships.
After a battle in doubles, the Islanders were able to pick-up a point in singles as Gergo Weidinger beat the No. 98 player in the country Dennis Lengsfeld.
In doubles, Laurent Montoisy and Weidinger lost an 8-4 match at No. 1 doubles while Matt Westmoreland and Andrew Maingot lost an 8-3 final at the No. 3 position. The match at No. 2 with James Langford and Aurelien Tave were trailing 7-5 when the point was clinched.
In singles, a huge effort from Weidinger gave the Islanders their only point of the day. After winning the first set 6-3, he dominated his nationally-ranked opponent 6-1 in the second for a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles.
Montoisy won his first set at No. 1 singles before losing the second and it was tied in the third at 6-3, 1-6, 1-1 when the match was clinched.
The first singles match to finish was No. 4 as Westmoreland lost a 6-2, 6-2 match to put Baylor up 2-0. Right after Weidinger's win put the score at 2-1 Baylor, Langford lost 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 and Nathan Robinson lost 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6 to finish the match.
In addition to Montoisy's match going unfinished, Tave was at 3-6, 4-4 when play was stopped.
The Islanders finish a season that saw them return to the NCAA Tournament and win both the regular season and tournament titles for the Southland Conference Championships.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs Baylor
5/13/2011 at Waco, Texas
#5 Baylor 4, #70 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
1. #19 John Peers (BU) vs. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) 3-6, 6-1, 1-1, unfinished
2. Jordan Rux (BU) def. James Langford (AMCC) 6-4, 6-1
3. #102 Roberto Maytin (BU) vs. Aurelien Tave (AMCC) 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
4. #97 Kike Grangeiro (BU) def. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) def. #98 Dennis Lengsfeld (BU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Julian Bley (BU) def. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 6-0, 6-2
1. #5 Roberto Maytin/John Peers (BU) def. Laurent Montoisy/Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 8-4
2. Julian Bley/Kike Grangeiro (BU) vs. James Langford/Aurelien Tave (AMCC) 7-5, unfinished
3. Robert Verzaal/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Andrew Maingot/Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) 8-3
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 15-10; National ranking #70
Baylor 20-4; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,5,2,6)
NCAA Championship First Round Match
Baylor is the No. 5 national seed in the tournament.