BYU Holds off Islanders 4-0 to Claim 45th Annual HEB Tournament of Champions
Corpus Christi - No. 50 BYU Cougars held off a spirited No. 54 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi men's tennis team Saturday to win the 45th annual HEB Tournament of Champions 4-0. This is the longest running college team tournament in the country.
The Cougars claimed victories in number two, three and four singles in addition to taking the point in doubles versus the Islanders who are now 8-6 this season. Laurent Montoisy was up a set against Evan Urbina in number one singles when the match went unfinished. He won the first set 6-4 and was trailing 5-4 in the second when the match was stopped.
BYU's Georgy Batrakove defeated James Langford 6-2 and 6-1 in number two singles. Spencer Smith won 6-4 and 6-4 in number three singles against Robert Raguz. Patrick Kawka gave the Cougars another point in four singles with a 6-4 and 7-6 over Aurelien Tave.
"This was an incredible weekend, I'm incredible proud of how we fought against BYU today but they were better than us today," said director of tennis Steve Moore. "Brigham Young played incredibly well and to take nothing away from them but we had opportunities that we didn't finish."
Matt Westmoreland and Thomas Shubert were tied a set apiece with the match unfinished in number five singles. Gergo Weidinger was down 6-4 and 5-2 versus Roman Warias also going unfinished.
The Islanders lost number one and two doubles by identical 8-5 scores, in number three doubles Langford and Tave were leading 7-6 when doubles were clinched for the Cougars.
"We fought hard today and controlled and tried in every way to win this match today that we really wanted to capture badly," added Moore. "We're extremely grateful to both HEB and the Corpus Christi tennis community for all they've done and support they give our program. This is the premier tournament in the nation and this may have been the best year yet."
Next up for the Islanders will be Middle Tennessee State on Monday at the Corpus Christi Country Club with the match starting at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
BYU vs Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
3/5/2011 at Corpus Christi, Texas
#50 BYU 4, Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 0
1. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) vs James Urbina (BYU) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
2. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. James Langford (AMCC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Robert Raguz (AMCC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Aurelien Tave (AMCC) 6-4, 7-6
5. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) vs Thomas Shubert (BYU) 7-6, 5-7, unfinished
6. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) vs Roman Warias (BYU), 4-6, 2-5, unfinished
1. Evan Urbina/Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Laurent Montoisy/Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 8-5
2. Georgy Batrakov/Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Nathan Robinson/Robert Raguz (AMCC) 8-5
3. James Langford/Aurelien Tave (AMCC) def. Spencer Smith/Michael Eraso (BYU) 7-6
Brigham Young 9-4; National ranking #50
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 8-6; National ranking #54