Islanders lose match to DePaul on the road
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Texas A&M - Corpus Christi men's tennis team was unable to pick up another win on Saturday, falling to DePaul on its third-straight day playing a match in the state of New Mexico.
The Islanders are now 1-2 on the season while DePaul improved to 3-1 following the 5-2 win on Saturday.
In doubles action, the team of Laurent Montoisy and James Langford once again prevailed, taking an 8-5 decision over Sven Kasper and Bartosz Jozwiak at the No. 1 position. At the No. 3 spot, Gergo Weidinger and Alex Pavlov lost an 8-3 match to Ben Hartman and Filip Dzanko. The doubles point came down to the No. 2 position, with Nathan Robinson and Robert Raguz coming up just short by an 8-6 final to George Chanturia and Matija Palinic.
In singles, Matt Westmoreland put the Islanders on the board, winning the third-straight match to start his college career. He took down Mathias Hambach by a 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 final at No. 6 singles. Raguz also picked up a win for Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, taking a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Jozwiak at the No. 4 spot.
The Islanders did not fare as well in the other four singles matches. Montoisy lost a heartbreaking 6-3, 3-5, 7-6(7-4) match to Kasper at No. 1 singles while Langford fell 7-6, 6-4 to Palinic in the No. 2 position. Aurelien Tave was unable to complete his comeback bid, falling 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 to Chanturia in No. 3 singles. The final match saw Weidinger take a 7-5, 6-3 setback against Hartman in the No. 5 spot.
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi will finally get a short break on Sunday before getting back to work on Monday in a match against New Mexico on the Lobos home court in Albuquerque. Match time is set for 5 p.m. as the Islanders look to even their season record to 2-2 on their four-match New Mexico road trip to start the year.
DePaul vs Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
1/22/2011 at Albuquerque, N.M.
DePaul 5, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 2
1. Sven Kasper (DEPAUL) def. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) 6-2, 3-5, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Matija Palinic (DEPAUL) def. James Langford (AMCC) 7-6, 6-4
3. George Chanturia (DEPAUL) def. Aurelien Tave (AMCC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Robert Raguz (AMCC) def. Bartosz Jozwiak (DEPAUL) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Ben Hartman (DEPAUL) def. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 7-5, 6-3
6. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Mathias Hambach (DEPAUL) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
1. Laurent Montoisy/James Langford (AMCC) def. Sven Kasper/Bartosz Jozwiak (DEPAUL) 8-5
2. George Chanturia/Matija Palinic (DEPAUL) def. Nathan Robinson/Robert Raguz (AMCC) 8-6
3. Ben Hartman/Filip Dzanko (DEPAUL) def. Gergo Weidinger/Alex Pavlov (AMCC) 8-3
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1-2