ISLANDERS SUFFER 4-3 SETBACK AGAINST TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN
The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team took another tough 4-3 loss, this time to Texas-Pan American, on Wednesday afternoon at the Corpus Christi Country Club. It is the third such decision for the Islanders in their 14 matches this season.
"This young team is learning a lot and competing very hard," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "We will keep chopping wood until we get over the hump."
The Islanders are now 5-9 on the season after losing the non-conference match against the Broncs. The Southland tilt between the two teams will be played on Mar. 30 in Edinburg.
In doubles action, the Islanders lost at the No. 1 and 2 positions by 8-4 scores. Dmitry Novikov and James Langford lost at No. 1 while Andrew Maingot and Duje Janjic lost at the No. 2 spot.
In singles action, Novikov beat last season's All-Southland player at the No. 1 spot, Ashwin Vijayaragavan by a 7-6, 6-4 final. At No. 2 singles, James Langford won 6-3, 7-5 over Brett Bernstein and Robert Raguz won 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot over Marcus Dornauf. Alex Pavlov lost No. 3 singles by a 7-5, 7-6 final to Beau Bernstein, Janjic lost 7-5, 7-5 to Andrew Irving at No. 5 singles and Nathan Robinson dropped his match at the No. 6 spot by a 3-6, 7-6, 7-5 final to Nirvick Mohinta.
"We have a lot of new guys learning how to win and getting better each week," said Moore. "They are paying their dues and their time is coming.
"I've said all along, I like our team, character, heart and fight. I believe that today more than ever."
Next up for the Islanders are the Prairie View A&M Panthers on Monday, Mar. 15 at 6 PM. The match will be played at the Corpus Christi Country Club.
UT Pan American vs Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
3/10/2010 at Corpus Christi, Texas
UT Pan American 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3
1. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) def. Ashwin Vijayaragavan (UTPA) 7-6, 6-4
2. James Langford (AMCC) def. Brett Bernstein (UTPA) 6-3, 7-5
3. Beau Bernstein (UTPA) def. Alex Pavlov (AMCC) 7-5, 7-6
4. Robert Raguz (AMCC) def. Marcus Dornauf (UTPA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Andrew Irving (UTPA) def. Duje Janjic (AMCC) 7-5, 7-5
6. Nirvick Mohinta (UTPA) def. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 3-6, 7-6, 7-5
1. Beau Bernstein/Brett Bernstein (UTPA) def. Dmitry Novikov/James Langford (AMCC) 8-4
2. Ashwin Vijayaragavan/Nirvick Mohinta (UTPA) def. Andrew Maingot/Duje Janjic (AMCC) 8-4
3. Alex Pavlov/Robert Raguz (AMCC) vs. Marcus Dornauf/Andrew Irving (UTPA) unfinished
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 5-9