The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team suffered a dramatic 4-3 setback to the DePaul Blue Demons on Friday morning at the HEB Tennis Center. The loss came in the opening round of the HEB Tournament of Champions.
The Islanders fall to 4-6 and will play against Middle Tennessee State at 4 PM this afternoon at the HEB Tennis Center.
In doubles competition, the team of Dmitry Novikov and James Langford won a quick 8-4 decision at No. 1 doubles. The Islanders were not as fortunate at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, losing both matches 8-6 to go down 1-0 heading into singles.
Langford quickly evened the match, winning 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2 singles before Alex Pavlov lost 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot and Nathan Robinson lost 6-2, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. With the Islanders down 3-1 and on the verge of defeat. Robert Raguz and Novikov brought TAMUCC back even with Raguz winning 7-6 (7-1), 6-3 and No. 4 singles and Novikov winning 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot.
It all came down to No. 3 singles where Duje Janjic was unable to complete the comeback after losing the first set, falling 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (9-7) despite fighting off several match points as well as having match point of his own on two occasions.
Check back on www.GoIslanders.com for full results and recaps of all Islander matches.
DePaul vs Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
3/5/2010 at Corpus Christi, Texas
DePaul 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3
1. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) def. Bartosz Jozwiak (DU) 5-7, 6-2,
2. James Langford (AMCC) def. Matija Palinic (DU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alasdair Graetz (DU) def. Duje Janjic (AMCC) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Robert Raguz (AMCC) def. Ben Hartman (DU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
5. Vanja Grgec (DU) def. Alex Pavlov (AMCC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Mathias Hambach (DU) def. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Dmitry Novikov/James Langford (AMCC) def. Bartosz Jozwiak/Ben
Hartman (DU) 8-4
2. Doug Perrin/Alasdair Graetz (DU) def. Robert Raguz/Alex Pavlov (AMCC) 8-6
3. Vanja Grgec/Mathias Hambach (DU) def. Andrew Maingot/Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 8-6
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,5,6,4,1,3)