ISLANDERS CLAIM OUTRIGHT SLC TITLE WITH WIN OVER LIONS
Beaumont The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team claimed it's second-straight Southland Conference title with a 6-1 win over Southeastern Louisiana on Sunday afternoon. The win extended their unbeaten streak to 11-straight matches and they are one win away from back-to-back undefeated seasons in the SLC.
The Islanders improve to 11-8 overall and remain perfect in SLC play with a record of 5-0. The Lions fall to 11-9 on the season and 3-3 in SLC matches.
"The men were very focused today," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "They showed a lot of mental toughness today."
The Islanders won a tight doubles round to take the first point of the day. No. 1 doubles saw Dmitry Novikov and Mikhail Pavlov defeated Benjamin Enke and Stepan Siska by an 8-3 final. The Islanders clinched the point by taking the No. 2 doubles match as Laurent Montoisy and Jose Zunino downed Jan Bezdecka and Guillaume Capovin with an 8-6 victory. The No. 3 doubles match saw James Langford and David Pace fall to Damien Cordoba and Julien Roussel in a very close match with a final margin of 8-7 (7-2).
In singles, the Islanders were once again nearly perfect, with just one loss in the round. No. 1 singles had Novikov defeating Siska 6-2, 6-3. Pavlov won at No. 2 singles over Roussel 6-2, 6-0. In No. 3 singles, Montoisy took a victory Enke by a 6-1, 6-2 margin. Zunino played No. 4 singles against Cordoba, losing 2-6, 6-4, 6-3. Jaume Farras won at No. 5 singles with a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Capovin. No. 6 singles had Langford closing out Bezdecka with a 7-5, 6-4 final.
The Islanders now look to finish off another undefeated SLC season when they take on Nicholls State on Monday in Beaumont. Match time is set for 11:00 AM.
"We'll approach the match tomorrow the same way we have all year," said Moore. "We will play every point with intensity and focus on only what we can control and we'll see what happens."
#51 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6, Southeastern Louisiana 1
1. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) def. Stepan Siska (SLU-M) 6-2, 6-3
2. Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC) def. Julien Roussel (SLU-M) 6-2, 6-0
3. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) def. Benjamin Enke (SLU-M) 6-1, 6-2
4. Damien Cordoba (SLU-M) def. Jose Zunino (AMCC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Jaume Farras (AMCC) def. Guillaume Capovin (SLU-M) 6-3, 6-2
6. James Langford (AMCC) def. Jan Bezdecka (SLU-M) 7-5, 6-4
1. #64 Dmitry Novikov/Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC) def. #72 Benjamin Enke/Stepan Siska (SLU-M) 8-3
2. Laurent Montoisy/Jose Zunino (AMCC) def. Jan Bezdecka/Guillaume Capovin (SLU-M) 8-6
3. Damien Cordoba/Julien Roussel (SLU-M) def. James Langford/David Pace (AMCC) 8-7 (7-2)
Southeastern Louisiana 11-9, 3-3 SLC
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 11-8, 5-0 SLC; National ranking #51