Houston The #39 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team lost a 4-1 decision to #38 San Diego State on Friday at the Hampton Inn Galleria Rice Invite.
The Islanders move to 5-5 on the season while the Aztecs improve to 9-6 on the year.
After a week off following the HEB Tournament of Champions, the Islanders could not find their stroke. TAMUCC played some very tight matches but the bounces just did not go their way on the afternoon.
"We had a chance to win every singles match," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "Honestly, for the first time all year, I did not feel that we were extremely mentally tough in the way we competed.
"In every other match this year, I felt that they were more mentally tough than their opponents but today that was not the case."
In the doubles portion of the match, Achim Ceban and Giovanni Vaglietti of SDSU defeated Mikhail Pavlov and Dmitry Novikov by an 8-2 score in No. 1 doubles. No. 3 doubles saw Tim Schulz and Jordan Colman clinch the doubles point for the Aztecs to go up 1-0 in the match. Laurent Montoisy and Jose Zunino led their match over Juan Gomez and Bartosz Gola by a 7-6 score in No. 2 doubles when the match was stopped due to SDSU winning the point.
In singles, the Islanders struggled, winning just one match of the four that were finished. In No. 4 singles, Montoisy defeated Vaglietti by a 6-2, 6-4 score for the only Islanders point of the match. In the other completed matches, Ceban defeated Pavlos 4-6, 7-5, 6-0 in No. 1 singles. No. 3 singles saw Gomez top Zunino by a 7-5, 6-2 final. Andre Feliz defeated Jaume Farras in No. 5 singles by a 7-6, 6-3 tally.
Other matches had Novikov leading Golas by a 7-6, 1-6 score as the match went unfinished. The other incomplete match had Tim Schulz vanEndert and James Langford tied at 3-6, 6-2, 2-2 in No. 6 singles.
"We are going to work very hard to correct some issues we had today," said Moore. "If we don't nip it in the bud very quickly, your team identity can change.
"I have a feeling, win or lose, that we will compete exceptionally well tomorrow."
The Islanders continue play in the Rice Invite on Saturday with a match against Rice at 12 PM. TAMUCC's final match of the weekend will be played at 12 PM on Sunday afternoon.
San Diego State 4, Texas A&M Corpus Christi 1
1. Achim Ceban (SDSU) def. Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC) 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
2. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) vs. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) 7-6, 1-6, unfinished
3. Juan Gomez (SDSU) def. Jose Zunino (AMCC) 7-5, 6-2
4. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) def. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Andre Feliz (SDSU) def. Jaume Farras (AMCC) 7-6, 6-3
6. Tim Schulz vanEndert (SDSU) def. James Langford (AMCC) 3-6, 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
1. Achim Ceban/Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) def. Mikhail Pavlov/Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) 8-2
2. Laurent Montoisy/Jose Zunino (AMCC) vs. Juan Gomez/Bartosz Golas (SDSU) 7-6, unfinished
3. Tim Schulz vanEndert/Jordan Colman (SDSU) def. David Pace/James Langford (AMCC) 8-6