FARRAS' COURAGE LEADS ISLANDERS PAST NEBRASKA, UTPA
The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team pulled off a rare two city double header victory Friday as they faced off against Nebraska in San Antonio before driving back to Corpus Christi and taking on Texas-Pan American in a conference match.
The Islanders made no excuses however, as they won both matches, including a tough 4-3 match over #62 Nebraska and a 6-1 victory over UTPA run their streak of victories over conference opponents to 10 straight. It was the third straight year the Islanders have beaten Nebraska.
Jaume Farras played the memorable match of the day for the Islanders. After going up 5-2 in the third set of his match against Benedikt Lindheim of Nebraska, Farras suffered a full body cramp and lost the next eight points in a row. Barely able to stand, Farras refused to default the match, and won the last game serving underhanded.
"I don't know if I've ever seen a player show more courage than Jaume did today, 90 percent of players would have defaulted the match." said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "He refused to quit, I think every guy on this team will remember Jaume's match their whole lives."
The Farras win sent the match to the doubles point, where Mikhail Pavlov and Dmitry Novikov beat Calin Paar and David Bendheim in No.1 doubles, 8-6. Francois Van Impe and Hendrik Stahmer of Nebraska then took the No. 3 doubles over James Langford and David Pace by a 9-7 score. Laurent Montoisy and Jose delivered the final blow though, beating Chris Aumueller and Benedikt Lindheim 9-7 in No. 2 doubles to win the match for the Islanders.
In the singles matches, Pavlov beat Bendheim 7-5, 7-6 in No. 1 singles, Paar beat Montoisy 6-3, 6-2 in No. 2 singles, Aumueller defeated Novikov 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 in No. 3 singles, Zunino beat Van Impe 6-1, 6-0 in No. 4 singles, and Stahmer beat Pace 6-3, 6-7, 6-3 in No. 6 singles.
Having just pulled off a gutsy performance against Nebraska, the day was not done for the Islanders, as they had to drive back to Corpus Christi to take on conference rival UTPA.
The Islanders had a much easier time against the Broncs however, taking a 6-1 victory in the nightcap.
In No. singles, Aswin Vijayaragavan won the first set 7-5 for UTPA before Pavlov retired due to cramping. It would be the only match the Broncs would win on the night. In No. 2 singles, Montoisy defeated Nirvick Mohinta 6-2, 6-3, No. 3 singles saw Novikov beat Andrew Irving 6-2, 6-2, Zunino beat Beau Bernstein 6-3, 6-4 in No. 4 singles, in No. 5 singles, Langford took the place of Farras and beat Brett Bernstein 6-3, 6-4 and in No. 6 singles, Pace beat Marcus Dornauf 6-3, 6-4.
In the doubles matches, Pavlov and Novikov beat Vijararagava and Mohinta 8-4 in No. 1 doubles. Montoisy and Pavlov beat Beau Bernstein and Irving by an 8-4 score in No. 2 doubles and No. 3 doubles saw Langford and Pace beat Brett Bernstein and Dornaug by an 8-3 final.
"It was one of the most brutal days I've ever coached and these guys delivered big time." said Moore. "There were no excuses at all and I am so proud of them.
#60 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, #62 Nebraska 3
1. Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC) def. David Bendheim (NEB) 7-5, 7-6
2. Calin Paar (NEB) def. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Chris Aumueller (NEB) def. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Jose Zunino (AMCC) def. Francois Van Impe (NEB) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jaume Farras (AMCC) def. Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. Hendrik Stahmer (NEB) def. David Pace (AMCC) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
1. Pavlov/Novikov (AMCC) def. Paar/Bendheim (NEB) 8-6
2. Montoisy/Zunino (AMCC) def. Chris Aumueller/Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) 9-7
3. Van Impe/Stahmer (NEB) def. Pace/Langford (AMCC) 9-7
Nebraska 3-2; National ranking #62
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 2-3; National ranking #60
#60 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6, Texas-Pan American 1
1. Aswin Vijayaragavan (UTPA) def. Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC) 7-5, retired
2. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) def. Nirvick Mohinta (UTPA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) def. Andrew Irving (UTPA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jose Zunino (AMCC) def. Beau Bernstein (UTPA) 6-3, 6-4
5. James Langford (AMCC) def. Brett Bernstein (UTPA) 6-2, 6-4
6. David Pace (AMCC) def. Marcus Dornauf (UTPA) 6-3, 6-4
1. Pavlov/Novikov (AMCC) def. Vijayaragavan/Mohinta (UTPA) 8-4
2. Montoisy/Zunino (AMCC) def. Beau Bernstein/Irving (UTPA) 8-4
3. Langford/Pace (AMCC) def. Brett Bernstein/Dornauf (UTPA) 8-3
Texas-Pan American 0-3
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3-3; National ranking #60