ISLANDER MENS TENNIS DROPS MATCH AT #10 BAYLOR
Waco - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi mens tennis team took a 7-0 loss at the 10th-ranked Baylor Bears on Sunday afternoon on the campus of Baylor University.
The Islanders are now 1-3 on the season after having played four teams that are ranked in the ITA national rankings. Baylor improves to 4-1 on the year.
"There is a reason they have been a top 10 team every week for the past four years." said Islander Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "They are a very good team and made it to the NCAA Final Four last season."
Doubles competition started the day with No.1 doubles between Denes Lukacs and Jordan Rux defeating Dmitry Novikov and Mikhail Pavlov by an 8-4 score. No. 3 doubles finished next, as Attila Bucko and Julian Brey downed David Pace and James Langford by a close 8-6 decision to give Baylor the doubles point and a 1-0 lead. No. 2 doubles was the last match to finish, as Dominik Mueller and Maros Horny beat Jose Zunino and Laurent Montoisy with a 8-5 final.
In singles action, the first match to finish was the no. 3 singles between Bley and Novikov, with Bley taking a 6-3, 6-1 decision to put Baylor up 2-0. Next to finish was the no. 5 singles between Bucko and Langford, a 6-1, 6-4 final won by Bucko to make it 3-0 in favor of Baylor. The closest singles match of the day was the no. 6 singles between Horny and Pace. The first set went to a tie breaker won by Horny, who won by a 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 final to clinch the match for Baylor at 4-0.
The final three matches to finish were the no. 4 singles with Mueller beating Zunino 6-4, 6-1, the no. 1 singles where Lukacs beat Pavlov 6-4, 6-1 and the no. 2 singles with Rux downing Montoisy 6-4, 6-1.
"We competed well but need to improve on the little things we are capable of." said Moore. "If we do so, we will be able to hold our own against this type of team later in the year."
The Islanders will be in action next against Nebraska and Texas-Pan American on Fri, Feb. 13. They will play Nebraska at 10 AM in San Antonio and return to Corpus Christi to play Texas-Pan American at 6:00 PM.
1. #21 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Mikhail Pavlov (TAMU-CC) 6-4, 6-1
2. #13 Jordan Rux (BU) def. Laurent Montoisy (TAMU-CC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Julian Bley (BU) def. Dmitry Novikov (TAMU-CC) 6-3, 6-1
4. #71 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Jose Zunino (TAMU-CC) 6-4, 6-1
5. #40 Attila Bucko (BU) def. James Langford (TAMU-CC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Maros Horny (BU) def. David Pace (TAMU-CC) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
1. Denes Lukacs/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Dmitry Novikov/Mikhail Pavlov (TAMU-CC) 8-4
2. Attila Bucko/Julian Bley (BU) def. Jose Zunino/Laurent Montoisy (TAMU-CC) 8-5
3. Dominik Mueller/Maros Horny (BU) def. David Pace/James Langford (TAMU-CC) 8-6
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1-3; National ranking #62
Baylor 4-1; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,6,4,1,2)