Islanders Athletics Partner with SGA for November Food Drive
CORPUS CHRISTI – For the second consecutive year Islanders Athletics and the Student Government Association (SGA) are partnering together to help Metro Ministries by holding a food drive during the month of November.
"The relationship with the SGA and Islander Athletics has always been strong but being able to help the community makes that bond even stronger," SGA President, Kimberly Garza said. "This partnership in helping Metro Ministries really shows our true Islander Spirit."
Students are encouraged to get together a team as an organization and donate canned food. At the men's and women's basketball doubleheader on Nov. 22 Islanders Athletics and SGA will announce the organization with the largest donation.
The winners of this competition will be recognized at the Feb. 11 men's basketball game vs. Sam Houston State and will receive a suite for the game.
"The goal of this event is for us to try and raise as much food as possible to donate to Metro Ministries while also making it a friendly competition amongst students and organizations," Garza added. "We hope that students will have fun while also giving back to those who need it the most."
Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to drop off canned food items at the following locations:
- Student Government Office - UC Room 206
- Front Desk of the UC
- At the Nov. 10 Islanders volleyball match vs. UT Arlington at 7 p.m. (Dugan Wellness Center)
- At the Nov. 12 Islanders volleyball match vs. Texas State at 1 p.m. (Dugan Wellness Center)
- At the Nov. 12 Islanders women's basketball game vs. Missouri at 7p.m. (Dugan Wellness Center)
- At the Nov. 22 Islanders men's and women's basketball games at the American Bank Center – 5 / 7:30p.m.
All student organizations participating in the drive are encouraged to label their donations by placing the canned goods in a bag identifying their organization in the box decorated as a Campbell's Soup can at these locations.